Is a new home on your Christmas list? Why not prepare so you can jump on your dream home when the calendar ticks over to the new year? Follow on easy steps to prepare for the home-buying process.
Preparing to buy a house
Before you start looking for your dream home, follow these steps to make your home-buying process smooth.
- Make a list – know exactly what you want to narrow your search criteria. A good idea is to list must-haves (can’t do without) and nice-to-haves (could do without for now). You can broaden your search parameters if need be.
- Research – look at houses online, go to property inspections (even if they don’t have all of your must-haves), and observe an auction so you know what to expect. Drive around communities to see what amenities they have that might suit your lifestyle now and in the future.
- Get your finances in order – a great way to prepare for a home search is to determine what you can afford and get pre-approved for a home loan. This ensures you know exactly how much your budget is. And as a bonus, if you find a home you like, you are ready to make an offer immediately.
- Exemption eligibility – first home buyer grants, stamp duty exemptions – there are several government grants and schemes you may be eligible for.
- Plan your inspections – as experienced property lawyers in the Geelong region, we suggest exercising your right as a buyer to do a pre-settlement inspection. Before you start the home search, find a certified building inspector and pest inspector. That way, you can call them when you are ready to have your new home inspected.
- Find a property lawyer or conveyancer – look no further than WJM to find the best property lawyer in Geelong for your home-buying process. Being locals, we know the Geelong/Bellarine/Surf Coast regions well, meaning we are well-versed in all property settlement matters.
With a bit of effort, finding and buying your dream home will be a smooth process. Undoubtedly, being organised before starting the home-buying process will save you a headache (and heartache!).
Geelong property lawyers
Engaging a Geelong property lawyer to assist you with your home-buying process will provide much-needed guidance and an overview of your documentation. WJM has an experienced Property Law team to help you purchase your dream home successfully. So whether you are a first-time home buyer or a seasoned property investor, call (03) 5222 2077 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a meeting for your next home purchase.